Tuesday, February 28, 2012

How do I make my bike faster this year?


I bought a new hybrid bike in 2011, a Trek 7.2FX, which gave me mostly what I was looking for: A more comfortable, upright riding position, stability on country roads traveling over drain grids, potholes, cracks and gravel, etc.  While the tires that came stock on the bike are great for that, and even moderate trail riding (700 x 35c), I missed the speed of my old racing-touring bike. 

What to do that would give me a noticeable speed boost without breaking the bank? What about different tires?

Enter BikemanforU instructional videos!  I checked out the video for Serfas Survivor Seca 700 x 28c tires. Did the BikemanforU just say I could increase my speed by 20% or more?  Sounds great to me! 

These tires are 7mm thinner than what I have, are a lighter weight, with a slicker tread, and are higher pressure rated (125-130 psi versus 60-80 psi, max).  Three layers under the rubber for extra puncture resistance.  I'm looking to ride faster, not stop and repair flats! 

That's my plan of action.  I'll let you know if I'm living in the fast lane later on this spring!

--JPorter

No comments:

Post a Comment